Re: Floppy disk access in Gnome.

Great Sean we already know it's a kernel issue.

I acknowledged this and then I asked "What can we do".  The answer of
"it's a kernel issue" isn't really an answer. it's just acknowledging
something we already know.

We have a user interface issue here. If you don't believe that I'm sorry
but... we still have to deal with the problem.  The average user only
sees GNOME.

So are there any suggestions?  Has anybody talked to kernel people about
this.  And yes Sean supermount works but it's buggy and people can't
even find the latest patches.

We just can't turn our heads and believe this will go away.  By at least
writing this email it's a start.

Do you have any constructive suggestions.

Maybe something in the gnome file system layer that when a person tries
to save a file in /mnt/floppy it traps that request and says"  I'm about
to mount the floppy disk, please insert a diskette" and then
automatically un-mounts it after the write.

Is this difficult?  It would at least address some part of the issue.