Re: GNOME on Ice (the point behind my insult)

Matthias Warkus wrote:

> +++ Sun, Oct 17, 1999 at 04:51:23AM -0400 +++
> Kevin Atkinson e-mails me. Film at 11. Reply right now, after the break.

> First of all, Enlightenment isn't slow.

That all deponds.  It does tend to be resorce hungry.  How do you define
slow?

> > Here is the point I was trying to get at.  Enlightenment is an OVERKILL
> > as the default window manager.  The gnome project needs to chose some
> > other lighter weight window manager to use as the default one to
> > recommend and to distribute with the Gnome releases.
>
> The Gnome Project does not distribute any window manager with its
> releases. Packagers may make the Gnome packages depend on a certain
> window manager, but that's a different thing. After all, Gnome do
> not package any RPMs, DEBs, SLPs etc. themselves.

The gnome project use to.  I see now that they do not, sorry for that
assumption.

> > However the GNOME project is not about being able to rampantly
> > customize things--it is about ease of use.  Most end users, such as
> > myself, want a window manager that works and doesn't hog resources.
> > Enlightenment is not it.
>
> "Most end users want." Have you done a survey on a thousand end users?

No I have not.  Would you be happy is I said.  It is my perceptions that
most end users.....

> > Now if people want to go off in the deep end over a minor insult and/or
> > stereotyping--that is not my problem.
>
> You're making all the classical mistakes one finds so often in posting
> by naive would-be advocates on comp.os.linux.advocacy and such. You
> insult, you make assumptions, you talk as if you were representative
> of a crowd... sorry, but I just can't take you seriously.

Are you saying because I made all these things in this one post I am now
in your kill file?  I am very sorry if what I was trying to say did not
come out right, I normally am not this probative.

Obviously, sense gnome no longer distributes  Enlightenment I should
take this up with RedHat which, to my knolage, still uses Enlightenment
as the default gnome window manager.  I KNOW they did for RedHat 6.0, I
am not sure for RedHat 6.1.

--
Kevin Atkinson
kevinatk@home.com