Re: GNOME on Ice (the point behind my insult)

Elliot Lee wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Oct 1999, Kevin Atkinson wrote:
>
> > Here is a nice article on using the IceWM with GNOME:
> >   http://www.linuxpower.com/display_item.phtml?id=140
> >
> > Truefully I don't know why you gnome and RedHat folks like that slow
> > Enlightenment so much.
>
> Stereotyping is the straightest path to a toasty flame :)
> the panel does) but works.

Here is the point I was trying to get at.  Enlightenment is an OVERKILL
as the default window manager.  The gnome project needs to chose some
other lighter weight window manager to use as the default one to
recommend and to distribute with the Gnome releases.  I know you hacker
folks like Enlightenment because you can configure it to do anything you
want.  However the GNOME project is not about being able to rampantly
customize things--it is about ease of use.  Most end users, such as
myself, want a window manager that works and doesn't hog resources.
Enlightenment is not it.  Icewm is.  I therefor thing that you guys (and
girls) should seriously consider using Icewm or some other light weight
window manager as the recommended default.  With Icewm the gnome desktop
seams a lot faster.  Thus having a window manager like Icewm as a
default gives the gnome project a better image.

Now if people want to go off in the deep end over a minor insult and/or
stereotyping--that is not my problem.

--
Kevin Atkinson
kevinatk@home.com