Re: GNOME on Ice (the point behind my insult)

+++ Sun, Oct 17, 1999 at 04:51:23AM -0400 +++
Kevin Atkinson e-mails me. Film at 11. Reply right now, after the break.
> Elliot Lee wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 16 Oct 1999, Kevin Atkinson wrote:
> >
> > > Here is a nice article on using the IceWM with GNOME:
> > >   http://www.linuxpower.com/display_item.phtml?id=140
> > >
> > > Truefully I don't know why you gnome and RedHat folks like that slow

First of all, Enlightenment isn't slow.

> > > Enlightenment so much.
> >
> > Stereotyping is the straightest path to a toasty flame :)
> > the panel does) but works.
>
> Here is the point I was trying to get at.  Enlightenment is an OVERKILL
> as the default window manager.  The gnome project needs to chose some
> other lighter weight window manager to use as the default one to
> recommend and to distribute with the Gnome releases.

The Gnome Project does not distribute any window manager with its
releases. Packagers may make the Gnome packages depend on a certain
window manager, but that's a different thing. After all, Gnome do
not package any RPMs, DEBs, SLPs etc. themselves.

> I know you hacker
> folks like Enlightenment because you can configure it to do anything you
> want.

Don't make assumptions if you don't absolutely need to.

> However the GNOME project is not about being able to rampantly
> customize things--it is about ease of use.  Most end users, such as
> myself, want a window manager that works and doesn't hog resources.
> Enlightenment is not it.

"Most end users want." Have you done a survey on a thousand end users?

> Icewm is.  I therefor thing that you guys (and
> girls) should seriously consider using Icewm or some other light weight
> window manager as the recommended default.  With Icewm the gnome desktop
> seams a lot faster.  Thus having a window manager like Icewm as a
> default gives the gnome project a better image.
>
> Now if people want to go off in the deep end over a minor insult and/or
> stereotyping--that is not my problem.

You're making all the classical mistakes one finds so often in posting
by naive would-be advocates on comp.os.linux.advocacy and such. You
insult, you make assumptions, you talk as if you were representative
of a crowd... sorry, but I just can't take you seriously.

(Side note: I don't use Enlightenment with Gnome. But that's not the
point anymore.)

mawa
--
[Crash programs] fail because they are based on the theory that,
with nine women pregnant, you can get a baby a month.