Re: no gnome

On Wed, 24 Mar 1999, James Green wrote:

> In message <36F96342.EF1A0A4E@cybercable.fr>, Georges-Henry Portefait
> <chewbee@cybercable.fr> writes
> >Hi,
> >
> >Just put
> >
> >exec gnome-session
> >
> >in you .xinitrc , I have no other lines neither a .Xclients
>
> Already tried that. Just gives me a blank screen and a crosshair for the
> pointer.

Upgrade.  It sounds like your system has a gnome-session configuration
problem, upgrading might just bypass the problem altogether (or at least
make it easier to isolate).

> >GNOME should come up with his panel, at worth with no WM. It s no big
> >deal launch the control panel and from there launch a Window Manager.
>
> So what *should* I be seeing when Enlightenment pops up? I just get a
> line of icons down the top right for apps, another line along the bottom
> left for E functions, and an E bar across the top of the screen.

Enlightenment starts up by first covering the screen with a double bar
across the middle.  Then progress bars go by in the top half of the
screen.  Then the bars unfold, exposing the Enlightnement desktop.  The
default enlightenment setup has a bar across the top of the screen, and
icons along the left, right and bottom of the screen.

> Do I have to run anything else? I get no icons on the background looking
> like those on the gnome screenshots I've seen.

Gnome-session should be running panel for you.  If you aren't running
gnome-session, you can run it yourself.  The command is just "panel".

Best of Luck,
-Gleef