Re: no gnome

On Wed, 24 Mar 1999, James Green wrote:
> Hi people,
>
> I've installed Gnome from tarballs, altered /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients to
> read gnome-session, but Windowmaker still pops up. I also changes
> ~/.xinitrc to read:
>
> gnome-session&
> exec /usr/local/enlightenment/bin/enlightenment
>
> which brings Enlightenment up, but nothing even remotely Gnome-ish makes
> an appearance.
>
> Without the ~/.xinitrc file itself (to use system-default), I come up
> with a blank screen with a crosshair and nothing else; I hit CTRL-Alt-
> Backspace and an error says GDK-ERROR**: an x io error occurred,
> aborting.
>
> I have /usr/local/:/usr/local/bin etc in my path. Also, I deleted
> ~/.gnome, performed startx again, quite E, and .gnome *had* been re-
> created.
>
> So what am I doing wrong?

Possibly nothing.  Since the last release, a lot of work has gone into the
window manager code for gnome-session.  I'd suggest going to
ftp://ftp.jimpick.com/pub/gnome/snap/gnome-core, and grabbing the latest
snapshot tarball of gnome-core, and installing that.

With the new version, you have to make sure that default.session got
installed in $prefix/share/gnome (that should be /usr/local/share/gnome
for you), and that the WINDOW_MANAGER environment variable is set to the
window manager you want.  You also might want to delete ~/.gnome/session
to make sure it is starting from scratch.

Best of Luck,
-Gleef