Re: GUI of Windows2001 (my gut reaction, then something for cons

Hi again folks,

okay, I've read all the responses to my (somewhat inebriated)
suggestion, and believe me, I hear what is being said, and I agree with
the sentiment completely.  What I said was nothing more than a
reflection of my concerns about the strategies which might be employed
by parties such as Microsoft to keep open source software on the back
foot. These businesses have the mindset of acquiring or obliterating the
competition. We aren't immune to this are we? Does everybody really
believe that FUD is the best these companies have to throw at us? They
aren't going to concede and welcome open source revolution, they are
going to try to try to ruin open source by blocking development with
patents and the threat of lawsuits.

I'm not trying to create any kind of war. I'm merely trying to suggest
that the issue be examined at the community level. Projects like Gnome
are quite likely to be hit early because they are the biggest threat to
commercial enterprises. If there is no threat, then I'd like to
understand why (in logical and not emotional terms).  If there is a
threat, then what will the community do?

Does the community at least need some kind of legal fund to defend legal
attacks?

I care about the open source community, and I think a beautiful thing is
being born. But thousands of good things have been destroyed by those
wishing to preserve the status quo, and I have little reason at present
to believe that the open source movement is any less vulnerable.

Please folks, I'm not trying to start a fight, and I know what an
emotional issue this is. Imagine you are part of some really promising
project, one which will become yet another reason why people should use,
say, GNOME over Windows or Mac, and then you get that letter. If the
project is not withdrawn, a legal suite will follow. What do you do? And
more importantly, what would you need from the community to survive?

Best regards to all,
Paul Dorman.