Re: GUI of Windows2001 (my gut reaction, then something for cons

> Another reason I put the link here was that, if you noticed, all the
links were
> to top comercial sites, and I can imagine people using neptune will not
bother
> to look for other sites. Neither will they  bother with installing
something
> different than MSOffice, or different than Internet Explorer, or
different than
> MS Messenger(or whatever), etc, etc... If Microsoft has OS Monopoly, then
it
> will get a complete dektop monopoly, if not a complete internet monopoly.
> But enough with Microsoft.
>
> > To do this I think we would need to modularize the theme capabilities
> > (if it hasn't already been done), work it so that many GUI and system
> > components and tools from various projects can work together,  and
allow
> > themes to govern access to things like the filesystem, network
> > resources, configuration dialogues, etc.
> >
> > If work was done to get this sort of capability we could have a gui
> > system much better than 'those other people' by, say, half way through
> > next year. Mighty Morphin Power GUI!
> I think that it was a great idea to have themes . So the
> next logical step is if it could be extended to ALL kinds of GUI's easily
> (not only click and point ones), so anyone could design a kind of
startpage GUI,
> or a 3d GUI, etc., without thinking on the internals...

Oooh, there's a big problem right there. I just read on LinuxToday that the
KDE project has had Copyright issues with GUI's and they were forced to
take away their Mac theme from KDE2.0 development. And the Mac theme has
disappeared from kde.themes.org. If that wasn't enough - Mac has
trademark'd the "trash" statement so you can't use that as the "Recycle
Bin" or whatever you wanna call it :P