Gnomebook computers.. ;-)

OK.. seriously.. is there anyone out there using gnome with a
notebook where you are sometimes on the net.. and sometimes (often?)
offline? I've having serious problems with my notebook when it's off
the net gnome hangs for long periods of time, especially at logon and
logoff. When I connect to the network, everything is fine. Is there
any way to configure it so that when I'm off line I don't even
run the session management stuff? Can gnome still work without
it? I've read all I can find, and maybe I've just missed it, or
maybe I'm not looking in the right places. If I need to RTFM,
please help me FIND the right FMTR. ;-)

thanks,
-steve