Re: strange session management stuff

[Apologies for verbosity here :-]

On Thu, Jul 01, 1999 at 09:04:55PM +0000, Tom Gilbert wrote:

> >Anyhow, what I am really trying to avoid, is the annoying, and evil way that
> >when I quit x, and then log back into it, 1000 windows (not literally, just
> >seems that way ;) open ...
>
> Are you closing the apps before exiting gnome?

Actually, this happened even if you did; I typically quit all programs before
shutting down, but gnome-session would proceed to open up enough to totally
cover the first linear area. I think this was fixed in 1.0.7; certainly I
got it until that filtered through into Debian potato.

> When you start an app. It gets added to the session. This way, if you
> leave the app open, exit, then come back, the app will be relaunched. If
> you do not want the app to come back next login, *close* it before you log
> out. When you close an app, it is removed from the session. This is how a
> session manager is supposed to work, and in no way limits your choice.

It does, actually. Forcing you to quit all applications you don't want
hanging around before logging out definitely limits your choice.

Worse is that it doesn't remember which desktop/LA a task's window should
come back on. I have no idea how feasible this is, but it'd be really nice;
I'm not going to bother with session management if I then have to move all
the windows around to get them back the way I wanted.

Admittedly session-aware apps can do this themselves, but not all areas are
covered as well by GNOME session apps as by not yet.

Incidentally, is it possible for gnome-terminal to remember the command it
was run with? I'd like to have it pop up an ssh into another machine, but I
can't persuade it to do this - when I edit what I think ought to be the
right line in .gnome/session directly, it doesn't make a huge load of
difference although the instance of gnome-terminal that gets started then
gets confused about which desktop it should be living on.

Incidentally, gnomecc says that "Startup programs" configures "which
non-session aware programs are started up" - then lists lots of GNOME
things, such as gnomecc, gmc etc. Why aren't these session-aware? Or is it
just lying? :)

James

  James Aylett                                           www.zap.uk.eu.org
  james@tartarus.org                                    www.footlights.org