Re: strange session management stuff

>Worse is that it doesn't remember which desktop/LA a task's window should
>come back on. I have no idea how feasible this is, but it'd be really nice;
>I'm not going to bother with session management if I then have to move all
>the windows around to get them back the way I wanted.
>
>Admittedly session-aware apps can do this themselves, but not all areas are
>covered as well by GNOME session apps as by not yet.

I'm working on implementing this in mosquito, a window manager for Gnome. I
agree, session management isn't much use if it just restarts apps in their
default states and in the wrong place. However, once programmers start making
use of it in their applications, I think we'll wonder how we ever lived
without it.  :)

>Incidentally, is it possible for gnome-terminal to remember the command it
>was run with? I'd like to have it pop up an ssh into another machine, but I
>can't persuade it to do this - when I edit what I think ought to be the
>right line in .gnome/session directly, it doesn't make a huge load of
>difference although the instance of gnome-terminal that gets started then
>gets confused about which desktop it should be living on.

It would be nice if Miguel took a lead with session management and made
gnome-terminal session aware (saving the scrollback buffer and the pwd, for
example). I think you might also require ssh to be session aware, though?

>Incidentally, gnomecc says that "Startup programs" configures "which
>non-session aware programs are started up" - then lists lots of GNOME
>things, such as gnomecc, gmc etc. Why aren't these session-aware? Or is it
>just lying? :)

I guess it's lying.  :)

Michael Rogers