Re: strange session management stuff

On Thu, 1 Jul 1999 bbarnett@L8R.net wrote:

>Heyo,
>        I've just recently started to use gnome-session to start my
>windowmanager, and everything, when I start up X.  The gnomecc is cool, but
>there are a few things I don't quite understand.  I'm running debian potatoe,
>and have (I would assume) very new versions of CVS gnome.
>
>Anyhow, what I am really trying to avoid, is the annoying, and evil way that
>when I quit x, and then log back into it, 1000 windows (not literally, just
>seems that way ;) open ... such as xterms, and netscape, and other things I
>don't want started when I log in.  Please don't suggest "But, its cool"... its
>not, I hate it ;)  To each their own.  Anyhow, on with the problem...
>
>In the gnome-docs, is shows a "gnome-session-applet" or some such.. with
>picture and everything.  Now, in the newer version of gnome I'm using, the
>session management has changed somewhat, or so it would seem.  The "session
>manager" menu item in gnomecc has changed to "startup programs".  This is where
>the problem comes in...
>
>Every time I run a program, it gets added to the blasted "startup programs"
>menu.  I don't want that.  I don't ever want that.  Ever.  I can't find a way
>to prevent those programs from being added, and I want to run gnome-session so
>all the other cool stuff (the screensaver, the sounds, the panel, etc, is all
>done at once).  In short, I want to run gnome, and be able to configure it as I
>like ;)  It looks like you used to be able to do that, from the picutres I see
>of the gnome-session in the user guide, but that functionalilty seems to have
>disappeared.
>
>Am I doing something wrong?  Is there some part of gnome I'm missing?  I know
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes and yes.

>that the gnome-session-applet has been changed to "startup programs" in
>gnomecc, because when I run it, up pops startup programs.  So what gives?  How
>can I stop this horrible gnome feature from annoying me 24 hours a day ;)

Are you closing the apps before exiting gnome?

When you start an app. It gets added to the session. This way, if you
leave the app open, exit, then come back, the app will be relaunched. If
you do not want the app to come back next login, *close* it before you log
out. When you close an app, it is removed from the session. This is how a
session manager is supposed to work, and in no way limits your choice.

If 100 xterms open, you must have had 100 xterms open when you logged out!

Ok?

PS.
Also check that you're windowmanager is not trying to manage sessions. In
some cases, both gnome and the manager restart stuff, so 100 xterms -> 200
xterms.

PPS.
I do agree that the docs should be kept up with changes made from version
to version.
   | Tom Gilbert, England                        pingu@linuxfreak.com |
   | www.tomgilbert.freeserve.co.uk    tom@tomgilbert.freeserve.co.uk |
   | Sites to Visit:                |    .~.                          |
   |     www.freshmeat.net          |    /V\        L  I  N  U  X     |
   |     www.gnome.org              |   // \\   >Beware the Penguin<  |
   |     www.enlightenment.org      |  /(   )\                        |
   |     themes.org                 |   ^^-^^      www.linux.com      |