Re: Busy-cursor?

On Mon, 4 Jan 1999, Marcus Brubaker wrote:

> On 4 Jan 1999, Alan Shutko wrote:
>
> > But that wouldn't necessarily mean the same thing.  The point of the
> > busy-cursor thing, as I understood it, was that it would show that
> > there's an app launched from the panel that's on its way, so don't
> > keep clicking on it.
>
> Ideally, all apps that take longer than a few seconds, on average, to load
> should use splash screens.  While I'm not entirely opposed to the cursor
> idea, I really don't think it is the best solution.

I am not a huge fan of splash screens, they are rather annoying on a busy
desktop.

What about the idea of having the panel "button" have a "depressed" state
that stays that way until the application loads.  FVWM's old goodstuff bar
did that, and WindowMaker does something similar.  Personally I find this
very nice.  In addition though, I think gnome apps should be using
hourglasses during long operations, especially if there is no progressbar.
There is nothing more frustrating then trying to decide if the app is
still working, crashed, or just not going to do something, I find that
some sort of indicator is really helpfull.

(personally, I just added hourglass cursors to my app yesterday <g> )

-chris