style and correctness

I apologize for the length of this thing, I got a little carried
away...

A few general things Ive noticed about Gnome 0.99.7. They fall into a
couple of categories which are outlined below.

Style:
-gmc needs a reload button. A big one, next to "home". The rescan
directory menu option is used too much to have that function buried under
a pull down menu

-The default menu selection sound is too loud and grating. I mean the one
that plays when you run the mouse through the foot menus. I have to turn
the speaker down just to deal with it.

Correctness:
- Some of the capplets dont seem to be initializing
corectly. For example, the screensaver option box defaults to "no
screensaver" when in fact it is active. The default sound check box
position does not reflect the state of the system as well. They show that
there is sound for events but none play.  After an "OK" of the sound
applet and a shutdown/start of the Xsession, sounds work fine - its just
the first time around that causes the confusion.

- There is no check for multiple main panels. Two can appear on top of
each other which is pretty confusing. I can fix this by killing the extra
panels manually and gnome-session picks up on the change pretty well but I
dont think this is the way it is supposed to work.

- Enlightenment has no problem starting windows that cover the panel. I
figure this behavior is most likely apparent to everyone, but I wanted to
bring it up anyways.

Other:
-I can double click a image file in gmc and it will be displayed nicely by
ee, but html docs dont launch netscape like I would have expected. Perhaps
I need to do some additional configuration for this feature to work.

Also, I would expect for *.htm files to get the netscape association even
though they were born in MS land...

-Does anyone think that it would be nice to get gmc-style filesystem trees
in the left pane of open/save dialog boxes? I know this is more of a GTK
question but Id like to get feedback about value/feasibility on this
subject.

Random b!tches:
-E themes fill up the /tmp directory with so much stuff that my root
partition gets completely filled. It would be nice for those files to live
somewhere else. (I using the RH recommended fs setup with three
partitions: /, /usr/, /home, standard UNIX style)

-GMC could be more stable when traversing FTP sites. I can core it out
everytime if I try to dive into a folder before the FTP info has been
returned. If I see the folder but not the "+" next to it indicating the
directory list has been returned and processed, and I select the folder
in that state, the core comes. I wonder if anyone else has seen this
happen.

OK............. What phat list I have here. I will probably stop bothering
the list about some of the easy stuff and motivate to fix it myself, but I
wnated to get it all down and see if there is enough agreement to make
these changes worthwhile before doing anything.

And I know that these complaints are relatively minor and more serious
work is going on right now, but the points above are what I noticed and
wanted to bring up.

-Dave

P.S. I read the FEED article about GNOME and I have to say I disagree with
ICAZA's characterization that "GNOME is not the most beautiful user
interface...". It beats the crap out of the WIN API. And as for
beautiful... KDE is eye candy city. Nice, but all that intrusiveness just
ends up pissing me off in the long run. I like GNOME's apparent philosophy
of functionality and simplicity, it leads to a very natural feel.

Take care