Re: Problems, Ideas, Other

* bob@cs.csoft.net (bob@cs.csoft.net) wrote:
> GNOME is loosing the "no waisted code" part.
> Examples are:
>  GNOME-WM
>  ESD replacement
>  GNOME PPP stuff
>  Alarm Applet
>
> ESD: Why replace esd when all it needs is a little fixing up. Fix the code
> that generates the fuz in the sound and it will be great.

Previously given reasons. I thought this too at first, but have
recently taken the time to perous the code. Some parts are very nicely
implemented, but I have to say some parts were somewhat scary.

Modifying someone elses code is not always very fun, and can often
lead to problems which are hard to start.

I don't see the harm in starting from scratch, having nailed down
exactly what the thing needs to do. Then you do it right, once, and
won't need to do it again.

> GNOME PPP: Still not up to par. There are two programs that dont share
> code. Also it is gui only. Please still think of the console people. I was
> playing around with diald and it has come a long way. I am planning to
> create a gnome front end to dialdc that will make it easy to use and will
> still allow your setup to work from the console. Plus we gain the ability
> to auto dial.

Try to be more constructive. "Up to par" isn't very fair, the author
may well be reading. Most of Gnome is development level software you
know...

> Alarm Applet: why reinvent cron?

When did cron suddenly become graphical? Or easy for newbies,
grannies, intellectually disadvantaged people to get into?

Besides, its not like the alarm applet's gonna fill your hd ;)

> GNOME-WM: Heven knows we dont need yet another WM. Finishing the WM
> Specification should remove the need for a GNOME WM. It will save alot of
> time and trouble making a GNOME WM.

This is a mixed issue. I am very happy with my current window manager,
and do not intend to change it. BUT, I can see the advantage the KDE
environment has with its own wm. Everything seems to meld together
better, and providing it as a default would prevent _so_ many messages
to this newsgroup, complaining or asking questions about enlightenment
(my current wm, which I love), as they assume it too is part of Gnome.

> All that GNOME has over KDE now is:
> License (kinda)
> Languages
>
> We need to redouble our efforts and work on the things that really matter
> as apposed to other things or GNOME will be pushed aside by KDE.
>
> Things that need emediate attention:
> Bonobo
> WM Spec
> GCONF
> Office programs

Ok. Welcome to the world of 'bazaar development'.

One of the things you will find with open development, is that
developers tend to work on what they feel like working on, for
whatever reasons. Sometimes their own reasons, sometimes other
peoples.

I am aware of the priorities of many of the core Gnome developers, and
I can assure you they are perfectly sane priorities.

Things will get done in the order the developers do them.

If you want to shape the development, or re-prioritise, unless you
fancy doing the developers' day-jobs for them so they have more time,
the only way to affect develelopment time-scales/priorities is to
_get_involved_.

Being involved is about helping in any way you can, without trying to
manage everybody. Far too many messages on this list are trying to
'manage', when they should be creating stuff.

IMO of course. Feel free to disagree. Its late, and I'm quite drunk.

I'm not picking on you by the way, most of your comments were helpful,
but unfortunately they are all very familiar from the archives.

G'night.

Tom.
--
    .^.     | Tom Gilbert, England | tom@tomgilbert.freeserve.co.uk |