Problems, Ideas, Other

We are loosing ground to KDE. KDE is assimilating the strengths of GNOME
and GNOME is loosing some of its strengths.

KDE is now copying the greatest strength of GNOME, configurability. A
GNOME like panel with applets is in development and themes as well.

In the beggining, I chose GNOME over KDE because of:
 Configureability
 License
 No waisted time/code
 Language
 No specified WM

KDE is assimilating configureability eliminating the configureability
portion.

The QT QPL lisence is now Open Source so the lisence is not so much an
issue. (I still prefer GPL)

GNOME is loosing the "no waisted code" part.
Examples are:
 GNOME-WM
 ESD replacement
 GNOME PPP stuff
 Alarm Applet

ESD: Why replace esd when all it needs is a little fixing up. Fix the code
that generates the fuz in the sound and it will be great.

GNOME PPP: Still not up to par. There are two programs that dont share
code. Also it is gui only. Please still think of the console people. I was
playing around with diald and it has come a long way. I am planning to
create a gnome front end to dialdc that will make it easy to use and will
still allow your setup to work from the console. Plus we gain the ability
to auto dial.

Alarm Applet: why reinvent cron?

GNOME-WM: Heven knows we dont need yet another WM. Finishing the WM
Specification should remove the need for a GNOME WM. It will save alot of
time and trouble making a GNOME WM.

All that GNOME has over KDE now is:
License (kinda)
Languages

We need to redouble our efforts and work on the things that really matter
as apposed to other things or GNOME will be pushed aside by KDE.

Things that need emediate attention:
Bonobo
WM Spec
GCONF
Office programs

We are using other peoples code, but we are not sharing much of our code.
Problem.
For example libgnorba. It needs to be made into a console library with no
dependencies on X. Many console programs can benifit from libgnorba.
Another example would be the desktop file parsing code. It would be a good
idea to put it in a library so that it could be shared with KDE and the
window managers.

A note about VFS:
I still think it is a bad idea, File systems are the job of the kernel.
BUT, if it is to be done, Please make it a console library so that console
programs can make use of it as well. In fact, I think I saw something on
freshmeat about a libvfs library. Then write a gnome-vfs library of gnome
widgets based on libvfs.

Note about gnome-db:
Why? Isnt there a library called iODBC or something like that? There is no
reason to create a gnome based db library when there is a console one that
is more flexable.

Name space issues:
People that distribute programs should only have to create ONE desktop
file that should work for all desktop environments. Having to make one for
Gnome, KDE, enlightenment, whatever is a drag. This needs to be addressed.
Also, it is a real pain to have the gnome desktop in .gnome-desktop. It is
difficult to get at from both the console and from normal gnome programs.
I recommend changing it to "desktop" or ".desktop".