Re: Problems, Ideas, Other

On Thu, Aug 26, 1999 at 11:56:18AM -0500, bob@cs.csoft.net wrote:

> ESD: Why replace esd when all it needs is a little fixing up. Fix the code
> that generates the fuz in the sound and it will be great.

Because esd is largely unmaintainable, and has a rather dubious internal
structure that makes it less extensible and gives it some fundamental
problems. Latency, I believe, is the one usually bandied around at this point.

> Alarm Applet: why reinvent cron?

Because cron doesn't integrate with the panel? Because new users don't 'get'
crontab?

> GNOME-WM: Heven knows we dont need yet another WM. Finishing the WM
> Specification should remove the need for a GNOME WM. It will save alot of
> time and trouble making a GNOME WM.

Every spec needs at least one testbed, though ...

> All that GNOME has over KDE now is:
> License (kinda)
> Languages

Better design philosophy (IMHO).