Problems (help me to sort them out!)

Hello,

In a new attempt at identifying problems, I again removed
.gnome/session to restart session management. The first session went
OK. But I couldn't start gnome the second time (I killed X before
Gnome restored my desktop). Thanks to a trick Tim gave me, I saved
every single error message from the fresh start. The error messages
matching the impossible startup are (theses are all the error messages
of the aborted session when I killed X):

--
gnome-smproxy: unable to connect to session manager

GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:
Authentication Rejected, reason : MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 authentication rejected.

GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:
Authentication Rejected, reason : MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 authentication rejected.
While connecting to session manager:
Authentication Rejected, reason : MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 authentication rejected.
Gdk-ERROR **: an x io error occurred
aborting...
xinit:  connection to X server lost.

waiting for X server to shut down

--

What would that mean ? (In particular, what are the "Authentication
Rejected" errors ?)

In case it is of interest, these are the error messages of the first
(just after reinitalisation) session :

--
Gdk-Message: Got event for unknown window: 0

Gdk-Message: Got event for unknown window: 0

subshell.c: couldn't get terminal settings: Inappropriate ioctl for device

Gtk-WARNING **: invalid cast from `(unknown)' to `GnomeClient'
xinit:  unexpected signal 1

waiting for X server to shut down
Gdk-ERROR **: an x io error occurred
aborting...

Gdk-WARNING **: GdkWindow 0x2c00006 unexpectedly destroyed

Gdk-ERROR **: an x io error occurred
aborting...

Gdk-WARNING **: GdkWindow 0x3000034 unexpectedly destroyed

Gdk-WARNING **: GdkWindow 0x3000018 unexpectedly destroyed

Gdk-WARNING **: GdkWindow 0x3000017 unexpectedly destroyed

Gdk-WARNING **: GdkWindow 0x3000006 unexpectedly destroyed

.
--

Thanks,

Jacques