Re: Heh! Maybe I can help! (was: Icons)

On Sat, 7 Aug 1999, Matthias Warkus wrote:

> +++ Sat, Aug 07, 1999 at 06:34:57PM +0200 +++
> Guillermo S. Romero / unnamed / Familia Romero e-mails me. Film at 11. Reply right now, after the break.
> > >KDE have got more than double the icons we've got. And this is an old
> > >version; as everyone should now, they are repainting them all at the
> > >moment. In high colour. They've got numerous artists working on this
> > >in a well-coordinated team. AFAIK, they are painting more than
> > >thousand icons. Thousand.
> >
> > And they have some guidelines for icons, IIRC.
>
> Why isn't anything happening here along these lines? We once used to
> have a list of "Icons That Have Yet To Be Made". What happened to it?
> Why isn't there a call for artists? How does one submit icons to the
> project? Is that possible or are all of Gnome's icons required to be
> made by Tigert? When will Tigert next paint an icon? Next year maybe?

I think most of my GNOME Foot entries don't have icons. A shame really :(

[ snip ]

> I am not an artist. But if you think it's a good idea, I could put up
> some kind of "Gnome Art Central", a place for submission of new icons
> and such.

I've been following some of your messages on the list for some time now,
and it seems to me like you should take charge of a subset of GNOME
organsational matters. Obviously, Miguel cannot be expected to co-ordinate
and approve everything (although he has been doing a great job imo), so I
wonder if your enthusiasm should be canned and let loose in a more
directly constructive role.

"Gnome Art Central" sounds good. If you could somehow co-ordinate a few
artists (assuming you wouldn't be stepping on anyone's feet of course) to
least get icons for all apps in the gnome-* packages sorted we'd have a
mostly-complete foot menu graphically.

/"I'm no artist btw"/

#include "stddisclaimer.h"

--