Re: Where's all the movement?

+++ Sat, Aug 07, 1999 at 07:53:45PM -0700 +++
Havoc Pennington e-mails me. Film at 11. Reply right now, after the break.

> On Sat, 7 Aug 1999, Matthias Warkus wrote:
> > I get Gnome from CVS. So where are those things happening? I don't see
> > much change in the CVS tree for, say, gnome-libs or gnome-core. Sure,
> > documentation is written, bugs are fixed. Minor prettifications
> > happen. I'm happy all this happens. But where are those big things?
> > Have I got the concept of CVS wrong? Isn't the HEAD branch supposed to
> > be the bleeding edge?
> >

> If you care subscribe to cvs-commits (>500 messages per week)

This is what I'll do. I've seen the weekly Gnome Summaries, but still
I was wondering.

> or wait for the roadmap, OK?

I'm already waiting for the roadmap :)

> The main action for a future gnome-libs is in Bonobo, libglade, gconf,
> gnome-xml, gdk-pixbuf, etc. gnome-core won't change dramatically in the
> next release (panel and control center). The new file manager is based on
> Ettore's new VFS, which isn't in CVS but has lots of work done (Ettore
> might send you a tarball if you ask). The gnome-wm module has one start on
> a default WM, but that's still a bit up in the air. etc., there's some
> other stuff, as I said we're working on a roadmap document.

Thanks for the info. Is there a reason that the new VFS library is not
in CVS? Too alpha (if that is possible)?

Now, if I ask you how long that roadmap document will take you to
make, you'll probably start saving immediately for a flight ticket to
come over and kill me... so I won't... <g>

mawa
--
No directory.