Re: "proprietary" vs. polluting (was Re: propriatary question)

"Brandon S. Allbery" wrote:
> A recent (as in, earlier today) message pointed out that "build with egcs" is
> the "official" fix for a problem in gnome-objc.  I've a few other things that
> need to be built with egcs on my home system -- and no interest in finding
> out if the same is true on my work Solaris box.

But if gcc says internal compiler error (as in mentioned article),  its
common sense to suggest using upgraded compiler.  It is not the right
path to avoid compiler errors in application source, it'll became
unmaintable. On the other hand, I really don't like to see any of egcs
or even gcc extensions in applications if they doesn't offer full
featured, but possibly non elegant or slower implementations. And that
should be the right path for gnome. Unfortunately, present gnome is not
totally free of gcc extensions, most of developers are using gcc, but
there is no gnome application which really requires egcs.

Regards,
Tomislav