Re: "proprietary" vs. polluting (was Re: propriatary question)

On Sat, 3 Apr 1999, N. Richard Caldwell wrote:
> Havoc Pennington wrote:
>
> > gnome-objc is a totally optional add-on, it is not an official part of
> > Gnome. In fact I haven't built it in months and I have a complete Gnome
> > setup and do Gnome development. It is legitimate for C++ and Obj-C code to
> > require egcs, because gcc 2.7 is broken for those languages. However, all
> > core code is in C.
>
> Then somebody needs to correct the official "building from tarballs" page at
> http://www.gnome.org/start/gnometar.shtml because it's listed there under
> "Required to run Gnome."

You're right. I've cc'd Les Thompson who is listed as the author of that
page.

I should clarify that by "not an official part of Gnome" I mean "not part
of THE Gnome, i.e. the core desktop." gnome-objc is a part of "the Gnome
project" as is most of the stuff in CVS.

Havoc