put GNOME in special directories, /usr pollution

Hi, I have a question about GNOME installation.  The latest FAQ, item 3.5,
describes how to put GNOME in a special directory like /opt/gnome.
However, it still requires symbol links in /usr/share.  I wonder is it possible
to put <everything> in a special directory, without ever touching
the standard directories /usr and /usr/local?  That way I can get GNOME to
run by just changing PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH without touching
standard system stuff at all.  This is useful if a single user wants to
try GNOME in his home directory.

I know the "trouble makers" are possibly autoconf, automake and libtool, not
GNOME, but I just want to know if it is possible.

Thanks for any info.

--
Li-Cheng Tai (Andy Tai)                       e-mail: atai@atai.org

Free software:  the software by the people, of the people and for the people,
worldwide.  Develop! Share! Enhance! And enjoy!