Re: put GNOME in special directories, /usr pollution

On Thu, 1 Apr 1999, Andy Tai wrote:

> to put <everything> in a special directory, without ever touching
> the standard directories /usr and /usr/local?  That way I can get GNOME to
> run by just changing PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH without touching
> standard system stuff at all.  This is useful if a single user wants to
> try GNOME in his home directory.

For each tarball, do:

./configure --prefix=/opt/gnome
make
make install

add /opt/gnome/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf

run ldconfig without parameters after compiling glib, gtk, imlib,
gnome-libs and in fact all other packages that create libraries.

Nils

---
 http://nils.jeppe.de/ and http://www.pandemonium.de/
"Why do we always come here?" - "I guess we'll never know."
"It's like a kind of torture to have to watch this show."