Re: put GNOME in special directories, /usr pollution

Andy Tai wrote:

> Hi, I have a question about GNOME installation.  The latest FAQ, item 3.5,
> describes how to put GNOME in a special directory like /opt/gnome.
> However, it still requires symbol links in /usr/share.  I wonder is it possible
> to put <everything> in a special directory, without ever touching
> the standard directories /usr and /usr/local?  That way I can get GNOME to
> run by just changing PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH without touching
> standard system stuff at all.  This is useful if a single user wants to
> try GNOME in his home directory.
>
> I know the "trouble makers" are possibly autoconf, automake and libtool, not
> GNOME, but I just want to know if it is possible.

I just tried to compile cvs Gnome on a clean Debian 2.1 system, and I
had autoconf errors without making those ugly links. On this system, I
installed automake, autoconfig, and libtool in /usr/local by using
tar.gz since it is easier to keep up with the latest. Gnome is in
/opt/gnome and added /opt/gnome/lib to system setting. I also have
export ACLOCAL_FLAGS="-I /opt/gnome/share/aclocal" in my .bashrc and use
--prefix=/opt/gnome. I would think this would be enough, but without
those links, autogen.sh fails. Does anyone know why this is so?

	Just wondering,
	David