Re: put GNOME in special directories, /usr pollution

On Thu, 1 Apr 1999, Andy Tai wrote:

> Hi, I have a question about GNOME installation.  The latest FAQ, item 3.5,
> describes how to put GNOME in a special directory like /opt/gnome.
> However, it still requires symbol links in /usr/share.  I wonder is it possible
> to put <everything> in a special directory, without ever touching
> the standard directories /usr and /usr/local?  That way I can get GNOME to
> run by just changing PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH without touching
> standard system stuff at all.  This is useful if a single user wants to
> try GNOME in his home directory.

If any GNOME program requires a file outside of the $PREFIX directory,
other than dynamic system libraries, it is a bug.  You can even get around
this if you put a copy of the dynamic system libraries into $PREFIX/lib,
or if you compile GNOME statically :-).

I have two machines set up with GNOME in the /opt/gnome directory, neither
of them reference anything outside of /opt/gnome other than standard
system libraries.

GNOME should install just fine in a user directory (--prefix=~/gnome or
somthing), provided you have enough room.  If you have problems, report
them here in detail, perhaps one of us can help.

> I know the "trouble makers" are possibly autoconf, automake and libtool, not
> GNOME, but I just want to know if it is possible.

It is, and without too much effort.  All I did to get it to work is use
"./autogen --prefix=/opt/gnome", and make sure to install things in a
reasonable order.

The only problem I know of with installing GNOME in a special directory is
a few programs use the $PREFIX/etc or $PREFIX/var directories, which
doesn't follow the FHS standard when $PREFIX is /opt/whatever.  One of
these days, when I care enough, I'll figure out whether this can be done
right with the existing configure file, or if I need to patch things.

Best of Luck,
-Gleef