Re: put GNOME in special directories, /usr pollution

On 01 April, 1999 - Andy Tai sent me these 1,1K bytes:

> Hi, I have a question about GNOME installation.  The latest FAQ, item
> 3.5, describes how to put GNOME in a special directory like
> /opt/gnome. However, it still requires symbol links in /usr/share.

What program/stage looks for stuff in /usr/share ?

> I wonder is it possible to put <everything> in a special directory,
> without ever touching the standard directories /usr and /usr/local?
> That way I can get GNOME to run by just changing PATH and
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH without touching standard system stuff at all.  This
> is useful if a single user wants to try GNOME in his home directory.

Since pre gnome 0.30 I have installed it in ~/gnome without any
problems.. just run configure with --prefix=$HOME/gnome  and so on...

/Tomas
--
Tomas Ögren, stric@ing.umu.se, http://www.ing.umu.se/~stric/
|- Student of Computer Science at the University of Umeå