GNOME Style Guide, was: Re: Uniformity?

Hi,

On Wed, 28 Oct 1998, John R Sheets wrote:

> Nils Philippsen wrote:

[snip]
> The unfortunate side effect is that no work is being done on it.  I think it would
> be great if you started working on it.  The gui-list is archived, so if you don't
> mind weeding through the 100+ messages per day that the list peaked at (only
> toward the end), you'll find a lot of very good ideas.  Hint: look for the shorter
> threads with meaningful titles.  (c;

Are there chances to get this as a tarred archive or similar, so I can carry
it home on my small 400Meg HD instead of downloading message after message and
making German Telekom richer as they deserve?

> Have you looked over Federico's UI Guidelines template in
> /gnome-libs/devel-docs/ui-guide yet?

Oh, lottsa SGML and no working (DocBook) sgmltools here -- I'll take it home
and examine what's done already there.

> If you need a little help deciphering some of the ideas that passed through there,
> or finding a good place to start, let me know.

If there's a sensible way to get the mailing list archives home, I'm in for
it. Be sure to hear from me, then. After I (hopefully with success) waded
through the gnome-gui-list I'll post an excerpt of opinions and what's
(apparently) already has been decided to the list for further discussion.
Maybe this should go to the gnome-gui-list, just another list I have to
subscribe then *sigh*. Would it be feasible to ask people to mail remarks
to me personally to keep flammage down? I could refine excerpts of these and
post them to the list (for further discussion? -- oh sh*t the cat just bit in
its tail, ...). I see some problem to make decisions and not

a) flame people to ashes
b) suffer from the "town council" symptoms mentioned by Alan Cox in this
   special article on slashdot
c) do endless (fruitless) discussions beforehands

To do decisions, two schemes come to (my) mind: Either discussion, then let
the "core developers" (Miguel, Federico, George, ... apologies to those I
forgot) make the final decision. The other way would be a Usenet like Request
for Discussion, Call for Votes scheme (a problem would be to get a person to
collect the votes who is impartial). Any other ideas to this?

Nils

PS: Disclaimer: If I said decision, I meant those who have not been done so
far, of course. I can imagine better ways to produce work than repeating
already done decisionmaking senselessly (did that sentence make sense?).
Nils Philippsen                  @college: nils@fht-esslingen.de
Vogelsangstrasse 115             @home:    nils@wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de
D 70197 Stuttgart                phone:    +49-711-6599405
Maybe I should patent stupidity so every lawyer will owe me BIG !!
(mpare/at/cadvision/dot/com)