Re: GNOME Style Guide, was: Re: Uniformity?

Hello,

Actually, I think another way to try and make something useful happen
without (possibly) devolving into another flame war is to kind of establish
some ground rules.  If the people involved didn't follow the ground rules, I
don't know what recourse there would be, but at least maybe something like:

	* if you flame someone for expressing an opinion, you will be
	  filtered
	* realize that everyone has a right to their opinion and you can
	  either agree, disagree or ignore it, but we ARE trying to do
	  something more constructive than host a flame war.

Also, in order to get something resolved, instead of trying to tackle the
whole problem of the style guide at once, break it down into more manageable
chunks and associate a "target date of completion" to them.  Now, I realize
that we're talking about a vast variety of different schedules to coordinate,
but if things are split up into smaller pieces, maybe something useful will
be done in a more timely fashion.

I think that the existing style guide is a good start, but I think that we
may want to add some additional information for background which does more to
describe the concepts and ideas we want to see GNOME and GNOME applications
exhibit and then talk about the actual "nuts and bolts" implementation
details of each interface component.  After that, maybe the special features
that will define GNOME like the integrated CORBA and the Baboon architecture
should be discussed.  Among these could also be information about the
different application styles (SDI/MDI/Dialog) and how each one should be
implemented or at least behave.  How the integration with the help system
should be accomplished, and a discussion on how the user applications and
settings for both the system and the user environment are stored, organized
and modified.

These are just opinions about some other things which I haven't seen in the
style guide as yet.  I think the most important ones to define first are the
overriding GNOME-isms which will define the environment.  I know that this
information is spread around all over the place and the FAQ does a pretty
good job of touching on it, but I think that a high-level discussion about
what is GNOME, how is it different from other environments and what can a
user expect from GNOME and GNOME-compliant applications independent of things
like layout and text capitalization would have a good home in the style
guide.  Also, this guide should be heavily illustrated, as much as possible,
to allow someone to get the "feel" of GNOME without necessarily
building/compiling/installing the environment.

This turned out to be a bit longer than I had intended, but I am interested
in helping out as well.  I'm also open to suggestions as to how to break
things down into smaller, more easily-attainable chunks.  I'm also
cross-sending this to the gnome-gui list (so my apologies for anyone who gets
it twice) because I agree with Nils that it kinda belongs there as well.

ast