Re: gnews-hows it going?

kozan@net1fx.com wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 20, 1998 at 11:51:06PM -0600, Yolanda Harvey wrote:
> > Is 'gnews' of the 'gnome-network' directory is being updated,
> > and if it works? what is required for it (perl packages)?

> > If it isn't, are there any other gnome news readers being made?

> I've been working on a gnome news reader for a while now and it can actually
> read news right now but the interface is still sorta crude.  I plan on
> relasing  a first version any day now.

Join the club.  ;-)

My main reason for hanging out on the GNOME lists is GnomeHack and
the news client I'm working on, Casca.

The interface is not very far along either, but my architecture is
completely implemented.  My background includes quite a bit of news
admin stuff, so I have some strong ideas about the proper implementation
of news readers.

Casca goals:
* GPL
* Supports all applicable NNTP commands, using heuristics to detect
  which commands are actually supported by the server
* Multiple connections to multiple news servers
* UI intuitive, responsive
* Full MIME support, including international text
* Passes the Good Net-Keeping Seal of Approval
  (http://www.xs4all.nl/~js/gnksa/)
* Uses gtk-xmhtml for message rendering
* Uses CORBA for full integration with Balsa and GNOME in general

	<soapbox>
	Combining mail and news is dumb.  While many operations are
	common to both, it is important to separate the two in the mind
	of the user.  CORBA allows full interoperability while keeping
	mail and news separate and distinct.  Plus noone (I think) wants
	to return to the age of monolithic all-purpose apps.
	</soapbox>

Casca design and features:
* Version 1 interface based on Netscape Communicator 2- and 3-pane views
* Highly multi-threaded for maximum network, UI responsiveness
* Features a modular, threaded connection manager wholly separate from
  UI logic, which encapsulates the entire NNTP command set.
  Could easily be replaced with something that supports the newer
  multi-mailbox e-mail standards, or a Web-based discussion board, or
  similar

Project status:
* Connection manager complete, which includes message requests, posting,
  etc.
* UI can handle groups, but no messages yet

I am considering creating a general MIME lib collecting the
logic from several less-capable libs, and some apps.

This will of course be finished when it is done.  :)

	Jeff