Re: gnews-hows it going?

Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@pobox.com> writes:

> 	<soapbox>
> 	Combining mail and news is dumb.  While many operations are
> 	common to both, it is important to separate the two in the mind
> 	of the user.  CORBA allows full interoperability while keeping
> 	mail and news separate and distinct.  Plus noone (I think) wants
> 	to return to the age of monolithic all-purpose apps.
> 	</soapbox>

There are differences between mail and news, but at some level they're
the same.  Gnus's approach of presenting mail in the same way as news
(with threading, scoring, killfiles and so on) feels comfortable to
me, especially when reading mailing lists like gnome-list, which
surely *is* a newsgroup in all but distribution mechanism.