Re: SESSION_MANAGER environment vriable not defined (was Gnome compliant window manager)

FT> SmcOpenConnection()
FT> fails and sets the error_string as
FT> SESSION_MANAGER environment variable not defined

Matthew> I get this too, it comes from icewm.  I have the 0.9.2
Matthew> version, and the docs don't mention anything about this (and
Matthew> I haven't had the time to dive into the code).

I'm not sure, but I think this comes from some versions of libSM.  At
least, somebody changed the Gnome client side code to check whether
SESSION_MANAGER is set, and avoid calling SmcOpenConnection if it is
not.  I assume this was added because of the error; I never saw it
myself.

icewm could easily do this too.

Matthew> Another thing I noticed with this version of icewm is that I
Matthew> cannot change focus away from the session manager.  I'm not
Matthew> sure how this will affect gnome, but it certainly affects
Matthew> every other X application.

I have no idea about this.  The Gnome session manager, gnome-session,
doesn't have any GUI at all.  There didn't seem to be a real need for
one.  (Actually, I'll probably eventually add one, but it will only
appear when you're ready to log out, and then only optionally.)

Matthew> PS: apologies for trolling the other day.  It's sad to think
Matthew> that I had to resort to that behaviour to get any useful
Matthew> information.

Whatever.  I don't remember seeing your previous posts.  I do try to
reply to the posts I know the answers to, but sometimes I'm behind,
and I almost certainly just miss some.  There's a lot of volume.

Tom