Re: SESSION_MANAGER environment vriable not defined (was Gnome compliant window manager)

On Wed, May 27, 1998 at 11:22:14PM -0600, Tom Tromey wrote:
> I have no idea about this.  The Gnome session manager, gnome-session,
> doesn't have any GUI at all.  There didn't seem to be a real need for
> one.  (Actually, I'll probably eventually add one, but it will only
> appear when you're ready to log out, and then only optionally.)

That'd be great.  I had a hard time getting gnome-session to do what I
thought it was supposed to do....

Comment 1: gnome-session --help segfaults...
	I looked at the source, and it seems that you probably have the
gnome argp stuff included, but don't give it any information to generate
help with (in which case, argp should be fixed...)

Comment 2: Shouldn't gnome-session try to start up something (an xterm,
*something*) if nothing is in the session file?  To finally get
gnome-session to work the way I thought it should I had to start
gnome-session from an xterm, manually type in the ENVIRONMENT variable,
start gmc, and panel from there, logout via the panel, THEN I could
use my .Xclient which said:
exec gnome.session

Of course, I didn't have a WM, but I used gmc to manually run the newest
icewm (with gnome-session support).

Also: I wouldn't suppose you'd know why the panel isn't put in the
session file (and therefor not restarted?)...at least if I exit via
panel's logout, it isn't saved.

Hmmm.... I need to try save-session.

Anyway, just thought I'd write.