Re: recently on the WindowMaker list (new hint needed)

> Something I'd like to see in the GNOME panel is the ability to position
> it on any part of the screen edge, not just at the far extremities.
> At the moment you're pretty restricted where you can place the panel
> while running WindowMaker as wmaker has the dock down one screen edge
> and appicons and mini-icons on the bottom.  For me personally it rules
> out the bottom and right-hand side for the above reasons, and it rules
> out the top as I have the application-formerly-known-as-fiend in a
> horizontal bar from the top-left corner.  Which leaves the left-hand-side
> for the panel, and I _hate_ vertical panels! ;-)
> Right now I'm making do by leaving it at the bottom and sliding it in
> to the right-hand-side with the button thingy, then extending it when
> I want it.  But it'd be nice to be able to position it 64 pixels up so
> I can leave it extended and it won't get in the way of any icons or the
> future Shelf clone.

one requirement to that is to first implement sane animation stuff which
is most likely to be up next (at this rate I'll never get to hacking on
orbit:)

the other thing is that how would the panel know how wide it should do
itself ... one idea is to get a hint from the root window with the
size appropriate to the side of the screen it's snapped to ...

another solution involves a little change to window maker itself ... if
it in itself could avoid the panel (given the apnel will set some sort
of hint special to a panel)

George

George Lebl <jirka@5z.com> http://www.5z.com/jirka/
  The following implements RSA in perl and is illegal to export from the US: