Gnome Status Report

			* Gnome Status Report *

			    March 17, 1998

"Good enough for use" rating (/10) follows program name (it's subjective,
but it may be helpful in figuring out what needs working on the most).
Nothing got 10/10 because nothing has docs (among other things).
Corrections & comments welcome.

(Comments in <> are Miguel's)

gnome-utils:
	gtop 8.
		Needs documentation and UI improvements.
		A tree view would be very nice, as well as some stability
		stuff (ie, not crashing if an app goes away).
	genius 6.
		Switching to scientific mode & back gives warnings:
** WARNING **: file gdkfont.c: line 195 (gdk_string_width): "string != NULL"
		Also needs to resize properly, etc.

	cromagnon 3.
		Needs work (needs gnomifying, etc.). Rumors of a C
		rewrite? <I do not know if Aldy is even working on this.>

	find-file 5.
		Needs gnomifying and UI improvements.
		<The file manager includes a find-file command.  Not as
		powerful, but could be extended.>

	gncal 3.
		Right now it's just a wrapper for gtkcalender by the looks
		of it. Snorfle wants to write his own calendar program,
		so we may have to use bits from his in our own
		program instead of having one solution.

	gtt 8.
		Performs intended function, but needs a final going-over.

	notepad 4 (?).
		Someone needs to get a properly working GtkText widget first ;-)
		<It is working now.>

gnome-media:

	gmix 8.
		Needs UI improvements, upgrade to v 3.0 from Jens?
		(3.0 is in the works but will be a good while.)
	gnomovision 5.
		Needs interface fixes, clipping code (this from Alan).

gnome-admin:
	gulp 6.
		Needs updating for newer obgtk.
	gxsnmp 7.
		Add optional gnomification.
	linux-conf XXX.
		Ask mkj
	logview 0.
		Currently core dumps after many gtk_style_copy warnings.

gnome-games:
	aisleriot 0.
		"guile: Stack overflow" on startup.
	freecell 8.
		Works, couple of non-essential warnings, needs icons & docs.
	gnomine 8.
		Needs docs. Score listing does not work.
	mahjongg 6.
		Comes up, looks pretty, but segv's when I look at the
		'Game' menu.
	phaser-chess 1.
		What's the status of this game? It compiles, and sort
		of starts up, but I know nothing more.

gnome-graphics:
	ee 8
		It's imlib's fault more than ee's, but it doesn't display
		some .xpm's (i.e. mc/icons/mail.xpm). Despite raster's
		protests about how xpm's are broken, someone needs to look
		at the problem and fix it so ee can be a true xv replacement ;-)

		Also IMHO the GUI needs to be a little more straight-forward
		and obvious - putting things in four different windows
		doesn't make sense.

		<Agreed, and it should not be using a Raster-mini-font,
		as it is difficult to read.>

	ghost-gnome 0.
		Anyone working on this?

		<Completely dead right now.>
		I might have a go at it.

gnome-network
	gmailman 3.
		Displays a basic interface and allows editing, but
		doesn't perform its primary purpose (yet! :)

	girc 4.
		Works, and the back-end is there and largely debugged
		(hah!) but needs a lot of UI work and all-around
		solidifying.

	gnome-ppp 3.
		Displays a UI but (apparently) does nothing

	gnometalk 0.
		Doesn't compile here...

		<Should be phased out in favor of gnu/talk>

gnome-objc
	obgtk is slightly lagged behind. obgnome is an
	"only what we need" wrapper of libgnome(ui). Bored ObjC
	programmers welcome in both places.

<File manager: approaching very quickly "release" status.>

All apps still need:
	Session manager support - possibly integrated with the
	configuration routines in each app?

	Get an easy-to-use (for both coders & users) context-sensitive
	help setup.

	Things that non-coders can do:
		Documentation! Even if you can't write well,
		having a little documentation is better than none at all.

		Testing testing testing! Find a bug and send it to
		gnome-list with [BUG] in the subject, and it will make
		everyone's life easier.

		Learn to code. ;-)

Hope this helps,
-- Elliot					http://www.redhat.com/