Re: Solaris

In message <Pine.LNX.3.96.980830160348.10036F-100000@noc.cinternet.net>, Soren
Harward writes:
+-----
| The best response to this question: try it yourself.  There are some
| people running it on Solaris, but I don't knwo how much hacking they had
| to use to get it to compile.  Also, you need to make sure you have the GNU
+--->8

I took notes.  But I wasn't planning to report on it until I have a chance to
pull down the anon-cvs versions of packages and see what has been changed.

-*- Indented-Text -*-
GNOME building on systypes other than Linux  (as of GNOME 0.27/0.28)

Still doesn't always comprehend the need for -lresolv -lsocket -lnsl on Suns
(where everything goes through nsswitch.conf for NIS, etc.) but this is a
general failing of autoconf'ed packages.

This is my build environment "patch" (on Solaris 2.5.1):

    prefix=/opt/gnome
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$prefix/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"
    export LIBS="-lresolv -lsocket -lnsl"
    export PATH="$prefix/bin:$PATH"
    unset prefix

Approximate build order (some prereqs may be missed, already on AFS):

	autoconf
        automake
	libtool
	gettext
	esound
	gmp
	gsl
	libgr
	libungif
	gtk+
	guile
	imlib
	gnome-libs
	libgtop
	glib
	mico
	gnome-objc
	ORBit
	gnome-core
	gnome-guile
	gnome-utils
	gnome-admin
	gnome-games
	[gnome-media]
	icewm
	libPropList
	balsa

Notes:

* imlib util/Makefile.am, after configure, line setting CFLAGS, change "=" to
  ":=".  Must use GNU make.

* gnome-libs, when it errors out, manually "make -C util gnomesupport.h".
  Presumed missing dependency.

* Most of GNOME and associated packages assume that -lrx is the GNU regex
  package.  Needless to say, it's not.  The only way around this at present
  is to remove /usr/local/lib/librx.a.
(*** ed.note:  on our systems librx.a is the secure RPC library used by AFS.)

* libgtop calls gh_append2().  No such function exists (even on Linux).  I
  don't know how they managed to build a working GNOME with this....  Stole
  a sort-of-looking-right one from guile-1.2/libguile/scmhob.h.

* glib wants glibconfig.h, which it forgets to install.  Install it manually.

* With the above, we need /lib/cpp (inappropriate configure assumption).
  I symlinked to GNU cpp.
(*** ed: this came up when compiling gnome-core with SunPro C to avoid
     problems with C++ shared libraries.  Returned to gcc after installing
     ORBit.)

* Mico build:
  "CC='gcc -B/usr/ccs/bin/' ./configure --prefix=/opt/gnome --enable-gtk"
  Do NOT enable Tcl, it appears to be for an older version (possibly even
  the pre-book one).  If libmicoaux*.so is created, remove it:  C++ shared
  libs lose big on Solaris with gcc.

* Sun has a libtiff.{a,so} which conflicts with the libgr version.  I renamed
  it to libsuntiff for the file being.  (/usr/openwin/lib/...)

* gnome-core doesn't re-configure properly if you add ORBit after the fact.
  Blew it away and re-unpacked.  Did I miss a "make mrproper/distclean"?

* gnome-core make install:  applets/webcontrol_applet libtool wrapper script
  is buggy, look for 2 duplicated lines near top of file (one has unexpected
  quoting).  Remove first set.
(*** ed: happened on first build, not on second (with ORBit))

* gnome-guile:
  "GNOME_LIBDIR=-L... GNOME_INCLUDEDIR=-I... ./configure --prefix=..."
  (--with-gnome= didn't work)

* gnome-utils does have missing parts as of 0.28, ignore them.

* gnome-games:  "CC=gcc ./configure --prefix=..."

* gnome-media is effectively empty for Solaris as of 0.27.

* icewm needs lots of help to compile to the right place; it doesn't use
  configure.  And doesn't grok Solaris (but does AIX.  Go figure).  There's
  also a bug in the makefile.