Re: Solaris

In message <006301bdd446$ec6e6920$ec0124d4@malleus>, "Bojidar Todorov" writes:
+-----
| I have installed Sun Solaris 2.4/OpenWindows (x86) on my PC.
| Is it possible to compile/install GNOME on this platform or GNOME
| is targeted only for Linux machines ?
+--->8

I just built the 0.27/0.28 released version on Solaris 2.5.1.  A picnic it was
not:-)

GNOME itself will build (with difficulty), but several GNOME programs are
Linux-specific (most of gnome-admin and all of gnome-media) and IIRC esound
only works if you have the OSS drivers... which are *not* free (WTF?!) for
Solaris.  You also don't get session management because Sun is still shipping
R5 servers which don't support it; you might look into XF86 as an alternative.
 (I only wish I had that option, Xsun24 apparently won't talk to Creator fb's.)