Re: library-web update on window.gnome.org

On Sat, 2009-05-02 at 10:07 +0200, Frederic Peters wrote:
> Owen Taylor wrote:
>
> > The way I set it up, local changes to files are overwritten each time it
> > pulls from git - it updates by doing a 'git reset' to get exactly the
> > content that's been checked in. This is mostly to make the automatic
> > update as failure proof as possible and avoid any possibility of merge
> > conflicts.
> >
> > Is there some reason that local changes are necessary to do as local
> > changes?
>
> Thanks for the explanation.  The libxslt/xsltproc hack is definitely
> local, as its sole existence is to work around the old version that is
> installed on window.gnome.org.  The change to data/extra-tarballs to
> point to locally generated release notes could be done as an extra
> configuration file, out of repository.

It's sort of weird to me to say that there are "local" hacks necessary
on window.gnome.org (== library.gnome.org) since the whole point of
library-web is to produce the content on library.gnome.org.

But if there are changes that can't be done:

 A) automatically from configure
 B) As arguments to configure

Then I'd recommend creating a script to do those hacks, checking it into
library-web, and running it from:

 /usr/local/www/gnomeweb/hooks/library-web

(That's also where you could pass arguments to autogen.sh)

Among other reasons not to manually hack up the checkout in the checkout
directory (git-wd/library-web) is that git-wd/ is excluded from backups.

- Owen