Re: Bugzilla.gnome.org Apache configuration change

On Dec 13 2005, Olav Vitters wrote:

On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 12:54:59AM +0000, Andrew Sobala wrote:
Olav Vitters wrote:

>While Bugzilla is being upgraded I want to show a nice document. As
>I'll be using 'deny from all' to restrict access to bugzilla.gnome.org,
>I'd like the following Apache configuration change for
>bugzilla.gnome.org (not bugzilla-test):
>
>  ErrorDocument 403 403.html
>
>This should allow me to provide a custom error message in the 403.html
>document. See for the ErrorDocument documentation:
>http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/core.html#errordocument
>
>'deny from all' is the best option as I have to make sure no-one
>accesses Bugzilla during the upgrade.

From previous experience, you stand a good chance of getting something along the lines of:

"403 Access Denied.
You do not have priviledges to access that page. In addition, a 403 Access Denied error was encountered when attempting to use an error document to handle the request."
(because you don't have access to the error document).

I plan to allow access to the 403.html as an exception. Bugzilla
already has that in .htaccess for some files.
However, you should be able to implement this in .htaccess, without needing a main Apache conf file change?

ErrorDocument requires 'AllowOverride FileInfo' and bugzilla.gnome.org
does not have that (I tried it first on bugzilla-test and found out
the cause after it didn't work).

Yup, that'll work :-)

Good luck with the upgrade btw; I'm glad it's not me this time, and under much happier circumstances than the last upgrade :-)

I sort-of remember that the switch was due to the servers being hacked.
Searched a bit for more background on this, but can't seem to find it.
Care to provide a pointer for more background info?

When widget got hacked, we needed to restore bugzilla from something - and it happened just after I'd said something like "We should be ready to upgrade in about a week or so, we should just do some more testing to make sure it works properly." So 2 downtimes turned into 1, and we bit the bullet, and it just about worked. (There were some bugs in bugzilla-test that we didn't know about, but we probably wouldn't have found them without mass use anyway.)
--
Andrew