Re: Bugzilla.gnome.org Apache configuration change

On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 12:54:59AM +0000, Andrew Sobala wrote:
> Olav Vitters wrote:
>
> >While Bugzilla is being upgraded I want to show a nice document. As
> >I'll be using 'deny from all' to restrict access to bugzilla.gnome.org,
> >I'd like the following Apache configuration change for
> >bugzilla.gnome.org (not bugzilla-test):
> >
> >  ErrorDocument 403 403.html
> >
> >This should allow me to provide a custom error message in the 403.html
> >document. See for the ErrorDocument documentation:
> >http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/core.html#errordocument
> >
> >'deny from all' is the best option as I have to make sure no-one
> >accesses Bugzilla during the upgrade.
> >
> From previous experience, you stand a good chance of getting something
> along the lines of:
>
> "403 Access Denied.
> You do not have priviledges to access that page. In addition, a 403
> Access Denied error was encountered when attempting to use an error
> document to handle the request."
> (because you don't have access to the error document).

I plan to allow access to the 403.html as an exception. Bugzilla
already has that in .htaccess for some files.

> However, you should be able to implement this in .htaccess, without
> needing a main Apache conf file change?

ErrorDocument requires 'AllowOverride FileInfo' and bugzilla.gnome.org
does not have that (I tried it first on bugzilla-test and found out
the cause after it didn't work).

> Good luck with the upgrade btw; I'm glad it's not me this time, and
> under much happier circumstances than the last upgrade :-)

I sort-of remember that the switch was due to the servers being hacked.
Searched a bit for more background on this, but can't seem to find it.
Care to provide a pointer for more background info?

Olav