Re: [GNOME-India] GNU/Linux Asia 2004 - Plans and thereon

Hi Sakarshan,

On Wed, 2003-12-24 at 17:29, Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay wrote:
> [...]

	Good point. My personal favourite is that one demo should show  people
how their everyday tasks be carried out in Linux too. Most people have
this misconception that with Linux you can't do much. Of course, eye
candy and cool things are always a must but this is important too.

> was thinking, that Novell [Ximian] and Wipro folks are the prime
> candidates to showcase eye-candy with regards to GNOME, so when can
> we start getting some feedback on whether there will be
> sponsorships - the sooner the better is the theme of the day ?

	The thing is that currently it is the holiday season so it might be
difficult to get reponses before Jan 2. I volunteer to write to the
Ximian folks about this.

> expenses RPM, expenses. when you are expecting someone else to pick
> up the tab it is probably better to talk about the lowest common
> denominator. i agree with the visibility part, but then conversely a
> GNOME India presence is likely to create a buzz.

	I agree that expenses are pretty high for the booth idea but perhaps we
can talk to multiple sponsors and see if we can have them split the
costs ? I am not suggesting we foot the bill solely by ourselves or ask
the GNOME Foundation either. We need to ask everybody - Novell, GNOME
Foundation, Wipro, etc.

> well as a post from myself to the list. nabakumar's proposal is
> welcomed and if he is willing to be the intermediary then do please
> go ahead. arjun from the iLUG-D is also on the list and he might be

	Go Naba! :-)

> [1] let's get some preliminary talk with Wipro going - HS are you
> going to coordinate for the organisation ? as an individual the world
> is your oyster - where do you desire to chip in ?

	Right, Hema can be our contact with Wipro.

> [2] Ximian/Novell - who takes up the baton ?

	Lemme volunteer to do that although, as I said, I don't expect quick

> [3] suggest goodies, demonstrations etc

	I am going to talk to Ximian about getting some goodies from them -
monkeys, T shirts, XD2 CDs etc.

> basically my idea is to spread the expenses between 2 organisations
> (stall from one and hardware, handouts from another) so as to ensure
> that all are involved in an inclusive way without initiating
> corporate turf wars.

	Agreed. I would say split expenses between as many as possible. I guess
2-3 becomes a practical limit.

	Ravi.