Re: Translations for GNOME-related projects

On Fri, 20 Mar 2020 09:00:43 +0100 Claude Paroz <claude 2xlibre net> wrote:

Le 19.03.20 à 15:38, David Boddie via gnome-i18n a écrit :
1. Is there an interest in including those projects in the Translation Project?

Hi David,

I think I already proposed that Purism use GNOME Damned-Lies at some
point (on a ticket), but the offer was not accepted at the time.

I'm sorry to hear that. I think it would have been a perfect match for the
GNOME-based projects to be translated there.

I'm currently updating this issue to track current thinking, and you are most
welcome to comment there if you want:

https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/OS-issues/issues/62

As for me, I would be in favor of hosting translations for the modules
you suggested. We could dedicate a specific release set on D-L (a bit
like we did for GIMP).

That would be great!

2. Would it be technically possible to do so while they are still hosted at
   Purism or would they need to migrated to GNOME's GitLab instance?

Yes, it is possible to let them on Purism Git repository.

However, if you want language coordinators be able to commit
translations through the Web interface, you'll have to authorize a
specific user (named translations on gitlab.gnome.org) to commit to your
modules.

OK. I'll have to talk to my colleagues about how to do that, if/when we go
ahead.

[...]
I'm not yet decided about forked modules. Ideally, if you could provide
.po templates with only differing strings, it would be the best, but
then you would have to setup a toolchain to extract and reinject those
strings in the forked modules.

Let's see now what other leaders on this list think about your request.

Thanks for your response. I'll direct my colleagues to this discussion so that
they can comment directly or indirectly via me.

Regards,

David
--
David Boddie