Re: Translations for GNOME-related projects

Le 19.03.20 à 15:38, David Boddie via gnome-i18n a écrit :
The background is that Purism has three or four projects that could benefit
from being translated in concert with other GNOME applications and resources.
1. Is there an interest in including those projects in the Translation Project?

Hi David,

I think I already proposed that Purism use GNOME Damned-Lies at some
point (on a ticket), but the offer was not accepted at the time.

As for me, I would be in favor of hosting translations for the modules
you suggested. We could dedicate a specific release set on D-L (a bit
like we did for GIMP).

2. Would it be technically possible to do so while they are still hosted at
   Purism or would they need to migrated to GNOME's GitLab instance?

Yes, it is possible to let them on Purism Git repository.

However, if you want language coordinators be able to commit
translations through the Web interface, you'll have to authorize a
specific user (named translations on gitlab.gnome.org) to commit to your
modules.

Another issue is that Purism has a number of "downstream forks" of various
GNOME applications with slightly different sets of translatable strings, such
as gnome-control-center and gnome-initial-setup. Could these also be part of
the GNOME translation effort?

The main obstacle I can see here is that it might not be desirable for the
Translation Project to work on forks, even if they are short-lived and will
eventually be upstreamed when mobile-related features appear in upstream
projects. Additionally, I can see that it might be confusing to have both
original projects and forks under the same umbrella.

I'm not yet decided about forked modules. Ideally, if you could provide
.po templates with only differing strings, it would be the best, but
then you would have to setup a toolchain to extract and reinject those
strings in the forked modules.

Let's see now what other leaders on this list think about your request.

Claude
--
www.2xlibre.net