Re: geary string freeze and upcoming release

Sounds like a good plan to me. Cheers!

--
⊨ Michael Gratton, Percept Wrangler.
⚙ <http://mjog.vee.net/>

On Tue, 12 Feb, 2019 at 6:41 PM, Daniel Mustieles =?iso-8859-1?q?Garc=EDa?= <daniel mustieles gmail com> wrote:
Sure, here is the second +1 from i18n ;-)

Thanks!

El mar., 12 feb. 2019 a las 8:22, Alexandre Franke (<afranke gnome org>) escribió:
On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 11:45 PM Michael Gratton <mike vee net> wrote:
 > Sure thing. Per the original email in this thread, the plan is to
> release 0.13 later this week. This is a feature release and will become
 > the new stable release, replacing 0.12 as such.
 >
> Going forward, I plan to then quickly do a "UI refresh" release and > switch over to the GNOME release numbering, around the same time or
 > shortly after GNOME 3.32 comes out next month. This will have an
> updated icon and app menu moved into the main window so as to match
 > GNOME 3.32 apps, and might be enhanced with libhandy so as to work
 > better on narrow, portrait displays, if that isn't too disruptive.
 >
> I view this UI refresh release effectively as a point release (i.e. > 0.13.1), since I don't really plan on adding new features aside from > the above), but am bumping the version since its a noticeable change > from the perspective of a person using it, and it seems like a good > excuse as any to switch to GNOME's numbering. There will be a series > for point releases after that, too (i.e. 3.32.1, ...), for bug fix and
 > translation updates.
 >
 > After that I'd like to start following the GNOME release schedule
 > proper.
 >
 > Does that help?

 I think it does. Considering this, here’s my proposed solution:
* we indeed consider Geary frozen and don’t make any breaking changes
 to strings in master
 * instead we stage them in a MR
* changes that don’t break the freeze, like reusing an existing one,
 are fine for master
 * once 0.13 is released by the end of the week, we merge the staged
 fixes so they go in the next release

 This is similar to the situation where we have changes for GNOME
 modules right before the .0 release and we delay them to right after
 that release so they land in .1.

 Would that work for you, Michael?

 Can we have a +1 from a second i18n team member?

 --
 Alexandre Franke
 GNOME Hacker