Re: geary string freeze and upcoming release

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 11:45 PM Michael Gratton <mike vee net> wrote:
Sure thing. Per the original email in this thread, the plan is to
release 0.13 later this week. This is a feature release and will become
the new stable release, replacing 0.12 as such.

Going forward, I plan to then quickly do a "UI refresh" release and
switch over to the GNOME release numbering, around the same time or
shortly after GNOME 3.32 comes out next month. This will have an
updated icon and app menu moved into the main window so as to match
GNOME 3.32 apps, and might be enhanced with libhandy so as to work
better on narrow, portrait displays, if that isn't too disruptive.

I view this UI refresh release effectively as a point release (i.e.
0.13.1), since I don't really plan on adding new features aside from
the above), but am bumping the version since its a noticeable change
from the perspective of a person using it, and it seems like a good
excuse as any to switch to GNOME's numbering. There will be a series
for point releases after that, too (i.e. 3.32.1, ...), for bug fix and
translation updates.

After that I'd like to start following the GNOME release schedule
proper.

Does that help?

I think it does. Considering this, here’s my proposed solution:
* we indeed consider Geary frozen and don’t make any breaking changes
to strings in master
* instead we stage them in a MR
* changes that don’t break the freeze, like reusing an existing one,
are fine for master
* once 0.13 is released by the end of the week, we merge the staged
fixes so they go in the next release

This is similar to the situation where we have changes for GNOME
modules right before the .0 release and we delay them to right after
that release so they land in .1.

Would that work for you, Michael?

Can we have a +1 from a second i18n team member?

--
Alexandre Franke
GNOME Hacker