Re: Question about charset names

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 4:13 AM,  <keld keldix com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 08, 2013 at 12:22:05AM +0100, Gil Forcada wrote:

>> Still, or while trying to push for glibc (maybe) as *the place* to share
>> this translations, having translations memories do help a lot making
>> this kind of problems less annoying though.
>
> Yes, it is glibc that has all the charset data, so it would
> be a good place to also have translated versions of the charset names.

So, my take-away is that no standard centralized listing of charset
names currently exists (at least not in the form of a PO file like the
several ISO code PO files on the Translate Project site).

In the absence of a pre-existing, objective standard and given that I
have a greater opportunity to influence AbiWord practice than
LibreOffice, I will probably work to have AbiWord adopt the same
charset name strings that are used in LibreOffice. This would be a
step in the right direction, albeit one short of conforming to an
objective standard.

As for getting glibc to list and translate charset name strings, I
think that is a bit beyond my current ambition.  I *have* engaged with
the glibc dev community on the issue of glibc locales (to the extent
of being offered commit privs) and I think there are more pressing
matters that I want to address in the near term (e.g. fixing up locale
license statements, etc.) that will keep me busy for at least the next
release cycle.

cjl
Sugar Labs Translation Team Coordinator