Re: Question about charset names

On Tue, Jan 08, 2013 at 12:22:05AM +0100, Gil Forcada wrote:
> El dg 06 de 01 de 2013 a les 13:50 -0500, en/na Chris Leonard va
> escriure:
> > Does anyone know if there is a place where the names of charsets are
> > centrally localized? It does not appear to be part of the iso-code PO
> > files on the translate project. . . or at least these do not appear to
> > be coming from:
> >
> > http://translationproject.org/domain/iso_15924.html
> >
> > which is script names. Is there a PO file like that for encodings?
> >

> > I'm looking at several word processing packages (e.g. LibreOffice and
> > AbiWord) and see subtle and essentially meaningless variation in the
> > way the charsets are listed in their PO files, so I am looking for a
> > tie-breaker to determine which one I need to pester about using
> > standard charset names.
> >
> > It is menaingless differences like
> >
> > Chinese Simplified, GB_2312-80
> >
> > versus
> >
> > Chinese Simplified (GB_2312-80)
> >
> > that only serves to make these strings less portable than they should
> > be across project lines.
> >
> > Any guidance would be appreciated.  Just fyi, I looked in the CLDR
> > locales and I'm not finding a standardized list there either.
> >
> > cjl
> > Sugar Labs Translation Team Coordinator
>
> Hi!
>
> Probably that should be glibc, as most of the locale information comes
> from there. The problem is that the APIs on glibc are not that much
> targeted to our idea of a central localization point.

Where does glibc and gnome differ here?

> For example, the names of the days (Monday, Tuesday...) are all of them
> encoded there, but as there is no strict rule on which name should be
> the first one appearing on the list of names, no project ends up using
> that data, and you can not count with your fingers how many projects
> make you translate those strings...

Why do yopu say that? There are strict rules for specifying The day names
and how you convert from a binary date in glibc.

> Still, or while trying to push for glibc (maybe) as *the place* to share
> this translations, having translations memories do help a lot making
> this kind of problems less annoying though.

Yes, it is glibc that has all the charset data, so it would
be a good place to also have translated versions of the charset names.

best regards
keld