Re: Question about charset names

El dg 06 de 01 de 2013 a les 13:50 -0500, en/na Chris Leonard va
escriure:
> Does anyone know if there is a place where the names of charsets are
> centrally localized? It does not appear to be part of the iso-code PO
> files on the translate project. . . or at least these do not appear to
> be coming from:
>
> http://translationproject.org/domain/iso_15924.html
>
> which is script names. Is there a PO file like that for encodings?
>

> I'm looking at several word processing packages (e.g. LibreOffice and
> AbiWord) and see subtle and essentially meaningless variation in the
> way the charsets are listed in their PO files, so I am looking for a
> tie-breaker to determine which one I need to pester about using
> standard charset names.
>
> It is menaingless differences like
>
> Chinese Simplified, GB_2312-80
>
> versus
>
> Chinese Simplified (GB_2312-80)
>
> that only serves to make these strings less portable than they should
> be across project lines.
>
> Any guidance would be appreciated.  Just fyi, I looked in the CLDR
> locales and I'm not finding a standardized list there either.
>
> cjl
> Sugar Labs Translation Team Coordinator

Hi!

Probably that should be glibc, as most of the locale information comes
from there. The problem is that the APIs on glibc are not that much
targeted to our idea of a central localization point.

For example, the names of the days (Monday, Tuesday...) are all of them
encoded there, but as there is no strict rule on which name should be
the first one appearing on the list of names, no project ends up using
that data, and you can not count with your fingers how many projects
make you translate those strings...

Still, or while trying to push for glibc (maybe) as *the place* to share
this translations, having translations memories do help a lot making
this kind of problems less annoying though.

Gil Forcada

[ca] guifi.net - una xarxa lliure que no para de créixer
bloc: http://gil.badall.net
planet: http://planet.guifi.net