Re: Web interface for translation for GNOME

I like the Transifex interface; they have come a long way. Workflow-wise, I have identified one serious problem though: Wile changing a translation I had previously approved (I am susually my own proofreader, because there are only 2 people on the planet who localize into Scottish Gaelic for OS software), the string still stayed approved instead of going back on the "to proofread" list. So, we'd better sick to DL or run our own pootle server.

And going a bit off topic, I would very much appreciate if somebody could approve my request to be a committer that I filed quite a few weeks ago. As I said, there are only 2 people on this planet for the job, and if I don't get access, who will commit my translations? Whom do I contact?

30/08/2013 16:48, sgrìobh Daniel Mustieles García:

    As a co-ordinator for Gujarati language I would also want to review or
    commit translations easily without having a hassle. Of course I need
    handful of resources to review or assess translation quality. How would
    you do that off-line? Even if I have those offline today, it might get
    lost when team changes, members changes, co-ordinators changes. So,
    having an online resource in-built on the web translation tools makes it
    consistent.

Using DL you cann see differences between git's PO file and the uploaded
one, so review is not a problem. Translation memory can be easily and
used with Gtranslator, and glossary is something that each
translator/translation team must do itself.

        Also, we have several roles: translator, proofreader and commiter.
        Hiding GNOME's infraestructure to plain translators may avoid
        them grow
        up and acquire knowledge about how translations workflow works. If I
        have a lot of translators but have no proofreaders nor commiters,
        workflow will be slower, and the number and the quality of the
        translations will fall down.

    Workflows followed here are for technical people, but not for
    translators, not for language experts or linguists who can give you the
    best quality translations. If you have lot of translators you should
    have proofreaders or committers.

I disagree. The workflow using in DL is really simple. Just create an
account, join a team download a PO file, translate a upload it. AFAIK,
Trasinfex is pretty similar to this workflow.

Also, note that many of the GNOME translators aren't linguists nor
language experts. They are people that use and know about GNU/Linux and
GNOME and want to collaborate with it. I always recommend to translators
the same: "first use it and then, translate it". We use a very specific
language in our software, so we need people with technical background.
Of course, they must have grammar skills, but if they don't know what a
repository, an slider or a buffer is, they will have serious problems to
translate most of the GNOME modules.

Note that reaching the role of proofreader or commiter takes a long time
(at least in the Spanish team). To be a good proofreader, you first have
to translate without fails, and it takes time. Also note that people
sometimes gets tired of translations and magically dissapear (including
proofreaders).

        In the other hand, it has also benn commented above, Transifex
        doesn't
        work directly with the repo, so statistics are not reliable.

    As long as the translations are synced by the developers you should get
    the accurate stats. Not part of translators job to worry about.

No. Translators need to manage their translations, so they need to have
real-time updated statistics. Developers have to develope, and don't
worry about commiting translations. I've used Transifex in several
projects and I never know what happens with my translations. Are they
commited into the repository, are they queued, have been rejected? Same
case with projects managing translations with bugzilla. Reports can be
waiting review for months...

We are disussing about using an external tool to manage our
translations, and it has derived in a discussion about workflow, which
is something special for each team, but we are missing something I think
is really important. How should we use Transifex? I mean, is it a free
software that we can install and configure in a GNOME server or it's an
external service? How customizable is it? Personally, I would not like
to delegate our translation statistics and web interface in an external
tool...

        DL is good for me, and we can also improve it if we consider it's
        missing any feature, so +1 to DL.

    If DL has online translation features, +1 from me as well.

        Best regards

    Thanks
    --
    Regards,