Web interface for translation for GNOME

Hello,

Long time ago a web interface for translators was discussed:

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-i18n/2005-March/msg00250.html

Since then many things have changed: The software evolved and projects began using web interfaces for translators. As a potential translator, I feel that spending bits of spare time on translation (even just as a way to relax, instead of zombie-browsing social networks) can be much easier if I have a simple web interface. I don't mind using a desktop app like GTranslator which I have installed, but an interface can make it easier to find files and send translations.

Currently, translation requires that you read guides and understand how to find the files in a git repo, fetch them, generate POT files, fill in strings, commit the translation back to the repo, update the ChangeLog, etc. And this is just the simple case when everything works as expected.

I have a feeling (maybe I'm wrong) that the need to learn the process scares off some users. Translation is relatively easy, and knowing the language is most of what you need. But without a staight-forward interface, less people help.

I'd like to suggest again (last time is 2005, see above) that Gnome gets a web interface for translators. Instead of just few technical people translating for a language, we could have much more. Of course, it may be possible to attract people in other ways, which are very welcome too :-]

fr33domlover